Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gaming

This one may be a little longer because I have actually played several games, but I only want to talk about two: LA Noire and Trenched.




I got to play this game on the PS3 thanks to a friend who lent me his (I'm not going to buy one) and to Redbox's new feature to rent games from the kiosks (for those who didn't already know, it's $2 a night). After getting through the first 3 groups of cases plus a little in Vice, I would say that this game is a must play. For one thing, yes the faces are crazy awesome (it's one thing to see it in a video and another to actually play it), but overall the graphics are decent. But I'm not a stickler for graphics, I like gameplay. The cases themselves are set up in a very smooth way, letting you decide which leads to follow up on first. The interviews can be a little tiresome at first, but you slowly get accustomed to the different twitches and know when to "doubt" or "lie". Apart from the detective stuff, yes, there are not too much actual gun fights in the main cases, but the side cases make up for that (most side cases deal with shooting). All in all, a very well made game from the good people at Rockstar.

PS: I hate the driving though, not the act, but the fake open world that they made. It reminds me of Mafia II, which was one of the many reasons I was disappointed with that game.

Trenched, on the other hand, is full of shooting. This is the newest game from Double Fine, makers of Costume Quest and Stacked (CQ was decent but way too short. Stacked was god awful, I didn't even play it because the cut scenes literally made me want to commit homicide). This game is sweet, incorporating a Third-person shooter with Tower defense. Toy Soldiers tried the something similar (which I think worked), but this version is just way more accessible to newer gamers. In the game, you fight in a "Trench", basically a big mech with huge guns that are completely customizable. Also taking into consideration that it is a Tower defense game also, the player can choose between three different types of bodies: a middle one, a gun heavy one, and a turret or"emplacement" heavy one; allowing you to play the way you want. Plus, it's just $15 on XBLA, so it's not like it will punch a hole through your wallet.

PS: Going to go play it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment